Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Christmas Traditions: Food

Surprisingly we don't have too many Christmas traditions surrounding food. I will have to work on that. Our first Christmas together (all of one year ago), I knew I wanted to have something particularly yummy and amazing. So my dear friend Reenie helped me to find a good recipe for monkey bread. You can find all sorts of recipes out there but as long as it has sugar, pudding, cinnamon and butter, you are good to go. I do not put raisins in mine but you can if it floats your boat.

Monkey Bread
20 dinner rolls (I use the Rhoades kind in the freezer section)
1 cup brown sugar
1 pkg. of vanilla pudding (the cook and serve)
2 T cinnamon
1 stick of butter

Place the rolls in a greased bundt pan (or a 9x13 if you don't have a bundt, Meghan). Sprinkle the sugar, pudding and cinnamon over the rolls. Pour the melted butter over the top. Cover with a cloth or plastic wrap and go to sleep for 8 hours.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes.

5 comments:

meliss said...

hi. love it. always wondered how to make it. now i will most certainly try! couple clarifying questions:
1. what size pkg of pudding? big or small?
2. should someone get meg a bundt for xmas?

Traci Healey said...

melissa - i have a 3 oz box (make sure it's the cook and serve kind). you can use as much or as little of it as you want. a bundt pan was on meg's list so hopefully she will get it!

Reenie said...

I just got all the yummy ingredients for this. Another thing you can put in the bottom of the pan is nuts and raisins. I do half nuts and raisins and half plain, because sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't...

meliss said...

wait, one more thing: do 20 rolls fit in a bundt? i just bought 2 pkgs of 6, and that seems like a lot to me. pardon my ignorance. maybe i have a small bundt. ;)

Traci Healey said...

that is a good question that i'm not sure i know the answer to. i would put in what fits reasonably. after it's risen all night, it will be HUGE and probably overflowing (it goes down in the oven). so i would only fill it up about halfway.